If you live outside of Guernsey and are looking for a job with the Guernsey Press Co. Ltd. there are important restrictions that can apply.

Because of the size of the island and of its population density, there are strict controls on who may live here. Without a housing licence and relevant Right to Work Document you cannot live in Guernsey. Some jobs advertised locally will have a licence available as part of the terms of employment. Others will not, and it is not possible for a non-resident to take up these positions unless they rent or buy non restricted property on the island's Open Market, which is generally very expensive. Licences are granted by the Guernsey States Housing Authority.

Details of the Guernsey Housing Control Law is available from the States Housing Department, Sir Charles Frossard House, La Charroterie, St Peter Port, Guernsey, GY1 1FH , tel. 01481 717000. Or you can visit the States of Guernsey website at www.gov.gg and go to the 'housing' section.

Reporters are generally recruited as trainees.

The newspaper requires candidates to demonstrate a good standard of education, particularly in written English. Most staff are educated to degree level but ability is more important than formal paper qualifications.


A full programme of in-house training is given in techniques of journalism, shorthand, law and public administration, topped up with external training as necessary.

Trainees generally attain senior status within three years, providing an opportunity to specialise in news, sport, or feature writing, sub-editing or photo-journalism. The next step is towards newspaper management.