Advertising

Four-year-old burns foot after beach BBQ

News | Published:

ISLANDERS are being urged to be more aware of the dangers of beach fires after a four-year-old girl severely burned her foot.

Georgia Tyson was walking on Grandes Rocques beach with her dad when she stepped on the remnants of a fire, which was not properly extinguished.

She burned her right foot, resulting in a dash to the emergency department at the Princess Elizabeth Hospital.

Georgia’s mum, Rachel, 35, is now appealing to islanders to take care on the beach after her daughter was injured.

‘They didn’t notice anyone around on the day,’ she said.

‘So, without knowing she just walked over it and she developed these huge blisters, it was horrendous.

Georgia Tyson's foot developed huge blisters. (25254283)

On the Monday we had to attend the PEH to have the blisters drained and for her to have antibiotics.

She didn’t really want to come back to the beach now. She’s been very brave.’

Advertising

The incident happened on 22 June and the Tyson family were due to go on holiday to Lanzarote the Saturday after.

They had to postpone their trip because Miss Tyson could not walk and her feet were still healing.

They have now returned from their beach break.

‘I had a good holiday,’ said Georgia.

Advertising

‘I like coming to the beach and my feet are a lot better now but they did hurt when it happened. When I went to pre-school I had to sit on a chair because of them.’

The States is now asking people not to light fires on beaches and to take extra care when putting out beach barbecues.

‘Fires can cause very serious injury, even when the flames are out,’ said Environment Services senior officer Jan Dockerill.

‘People should always keep them below the high tide mark and only after 5pm using a fire bowl or bucket and not directly on the sand.

‘They should also dispose of their own barbecues by dowsing them with water until cold and putting the embers in the bin.

‘We’ve had similar issues in the past but nothing as serious as this – I mean we really don’t want to spoil anyone’s fun but we want to make sure everyone stays safe.’

The States will put out more signs this week highlighting its beach code, which provides good advice on a number of issues including beach fires, as well as litter, wildlife and noise.

‘They should also dispose of their own barbecues by dowsing them with water until cold and putting the embers in the bin.

‘We’ve had similar issues in the past but nothing as serious as this - I mean we really don’t want to spoil anyone’s fun but we want to make sure everyone stays safe.’

The States will put out more signs this week highlighting its Beach Code, which provides good advice on a number of issues including beach fires, as well as litter, wildlife and noise.

Rachel Tyson and her daughter Georgia, 4, at Grandes Rocques, where Georgia burnt her foot on smouldering embers. (Picture by Sophie Rabey, 25254252)
Danielle Kenneally

By Danielle Kenneally
News reporter

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Guernsey Press

UK & International News