The gates were removed at the start of October for the essential refurbishment work.
‘The necessary repairs will enable Elizabeth College to provide a secure campus for our students once day-to-day parking ceases in front of the main building,’ a college spokeswoman said.
‘Due to the intricacies of the metalwork, the refurbishment is anticipated to take a couple of months.
‘Elizabeth College has appointed Channel Island Welders to complete the works due to their enthusiasm and passion for conserving this significant heritage feature on The Grange.
‘Elizabeth College is delighted that the gates can be retained and repaired and the methods of repair have been developed and approved in conjunction with conservation officers at Guernsey Planning Services.’
It is planned that a car-free space will be created in front of the main college building in the longer term, as part of the project to refurbish the new Perrot Court. Just five spaces will remain within the side courtyard.
The gate work has started at the same time as Elizabeth College’s planning application to refurbish the main college forecourt is approved.
It is planned that the area will be landscaped and resurfaced. Benches, seating areas, raised planters and other landscaping will be installed, with a bespoke covered seating area to the south side of the main building on an existing lawn area.
The original entrance and gates were in the gatehouse, which was built in 1829.
That building is now known as the Gatehouse Gallery.
The Porter’s Lodge – as it was known – was originally in two halves, one on each side of the gateway, and the porter had to cross the entrance yard to reach his bedroom.
In 1937 it was decided to construct a new and less dangerous entrance to the college higher up the Grange and at the same time fill in the old gateway to give the porter extra accommodation.
The work was completed the following year.