Disposable barbecue causes fire in bin in coastal car park

A LITTER bin near the Grandes Rocques kiosk was destroyed by fire over the weekend after someone disposed of a portable barbecue in it.

This rubbish bin at Grandes Rocques was destroyed by fire overnight Saturday after somebody put a disposable barbecue in it. (29875053)
This rubbish bin at Grandes Rocques was destroyed by fire overnight Saturday after somebody put a disposable barbecue in it. (29875053)

Annette Search was walking her dog in the area at about 8.30am yesterday when she saw what had happened.

The bin had been fine when Mrs Search walked her dog there the previous day.

‘I know that there were hundreds of people on the beaches over the weekend,’ she said.

‘It could have been done quite unintentionally, but care needs to be taken to make sure portable barbecues are out before people dispose of them and this might be a warning to others.

‘If somebody realises that they were responsible for the blaze they might consider doing something to put it right.’

A year or two ago, Mrs Search said she had contacted States Works to say the previous bins that were there were unsuitable.

‘Seagulls were able to take things out and the rubbish went everywhere,’ she said. ‘States Works changed the bins very quickly and it made a great improvement.’

Top Stories

More From The Guernsey Press

UK & International News