Guernsey Press

Two women charged after videos of toddler vaping shared online

Police Scotland said the infant is ‘safe and well’.

Last updated

Two women have been charged after videos of a toddler vaping were posted on social media.

Police Scotland said the infant involved is “safe and well”.

The Daily Record reported the footage filmed in Ayrshire showed a toddler, thought to be aged between one and two, inhaling from a pink vape as adults watch.

Another video showed the youngster coughing after using the vape.

Police Scotland said two 19-year-old women were charged on Saturday.

Ayrshire MSP Siobhian Brown told the newspaper she was “horrified” by the footage.

The SNP MSP, who is also the Scottish community safety minister, said: “I was horrified to watch the footage of a toddler vaping on social media. Vapes are not harmless and contain nicotine and dangerous toxins that could damage young developing lungs.

“I would hope this is an isolated incident and most responsible parents would know the dangers involved.

“I have had concerns for several years with the increase of youth vaping, especially with the attractive different flavours and the accessibility of disposable vapes. The Scottish Government is bringing in welcome legislation to ban disposable vapes next year.”

Sheila Duffy, chief executive of charity Action on Smoking and Health (Ash) Scotland, said: “Most e-cigarettes contain high levels of nicotine as well as toxic chemicals that have not been safety tested for inhalation.

“E-cigarettes present particular risks for children and all vaping products should be kept out of their reach.

“Nicotine is addictive and adversely affects brain development. It can lead to attention disorders and can harm mood and wellbeing.

“As children’s bodies are growing, damage done by these devices now increases the risk of serious longer-term health outcomes.”

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.