R Kelly facing sweeping new federal sex crime charges
Kelly is being held at the high-rise Metropolitan Correctional Centre in Chicago.
Singer R Kelly, already facing sexual abuse charges brought by Illinois prosecutors, has been arrested in Chicago over accusations that he and members of his entourage recruited women and girls to engage in illegal sexual activity with the performer.
The indictment unsealed on Friday in the Eastern District of New York includes charges of racketeering, kidnapping, forced labour and the sexual exploitation of a child.
It says Kelly and his managers, bodyguards and other assistants picked out women and girls at concerts and other venues and arranged for them to travel to see Kelly.
The indictment alleges that the criminal acts occurred over two decades dating back to 1999, both in the US and overseas.
It accuses Kelly of engaging in sexual acts with girls under 18 and without disclosing that he had a sexually transmitted disease.
It also accuses him of producing child pornography, including by asking minors to send him photographs.
US Attorney’s Office spokesman Joseph Fitzpatrick said the R&B singer was out walking his dog when he was taken into custody at about 7pm on Thursday and was being held by federal authorities.
He was arrested after the indictment was handed down earlier on Thursday in federal court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Kelly’s lawyer, Steve Greenberg, said that federal agents arrested Kelly on charges out of Illinois and New York.
The singer hopes to be released after a bail hearing early next week, Mr Greenberg said.
The conduct Kelly is charged with in federal court “appears to largely be the same” as what he is charged with in state court, Mr Greenberg said, adding that Kelly “was aware of the investigations and the charges were not a surprise”.
The arrest was the second time this year that Kelly has been taken into custody in Chicago on sex charges.
The 52-year-old Grammy winner, whose real name is Robert Kelly, was arrested in February on 10 counts in Illinois of sexually abusing three girls and a woman.
He pleaded not guilty to those charges and was released on bail.
Then on May 30, Cook County prosecutors added 11 more sex-related counts involving one of the women who accused him of sexually abusing her when she was underage.
Darrell Johnson, a publicist for Kelly, said he planned to deliver a statement about the latest developments at a Friday morning news conference in Atlanta.
He declined to comment ahead of that time.
Kelly has faced mounting legal troubles this year after Lifetime aired a documentary Surviving R Kelly, which revisited allegations of sexual abuse of girls.
The series followed the BBC’s R Kelly: Sex, Girls & Videotapes, released in 2018, that alleged the singer was holding women against their will and running a “sex cult”.
Soon after the release of the Lifetime documentary, Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx said her office had been inundated with calls about the allegations in the documentary.
Her office’s investigation led to the charges in February and additional counts added in May.
Kelly avoided prison after similar allegations were made more than a decade ago.
A jury in 2008 acquitted him of child pornography charges that stemmed from a videotape, obtained by the Chicago Sun-Times, allegedly showing Kelly having sex with a minor.
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.