Ozzy Osbourne’s daughter Aimee and her producer escaped a Hollywood recording studio fire that killed another person, her mother said.
The fire erupted on Thursday afternoon in a two-storey commercial building, and it took 78 firefighters more than 50 minutes to extinguish the flames, Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Erik Scott said.
Two people reported respiratory symptoms related to smoke exposure and were evaluated at the scene but both declined to be taken to a hospital, Mr Scott said.
One of the two survivors was the elder daughter of Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne, Sharon Osbourne said in an Instagram post.
Aimee Osbourne, 38, and a producer she was working with were “the lucky two that made it out alive”, Osbourne said, without identifying the producer.
“It is utterly heart-breaking that someone lost their life today in this fire & we are sending our prayers to this person & their family,” she said, adding “our prayers go out to the family and friends of the person that lost their life to this senseless fire”.
Aimee Osbourne is a singer who releases music under the name ARO, her initials. She did not take part in the Osbourne family’s reality show.
Authorities have not released the identity of the person killed but friends and others who worked in the building told The Los Angeles Times he was 26-year-old Nathan Avery Edwards, who recorded, produced and mixed music under the name Avery Drift.
Jonathan Wellman, who rented a recording space in the building down the hall from Edwards, told the Times he was “a talented young artist, producer, engineer”.
A hip-hop artist named Maxxamillion said he lost his entire studio and 50,000 dollars worth of equipment.
“I opened the door, I saw smoke coming from across the hall,” he told KABC-TV. “I immediately reached over to grab a jug of water. I threw it at the door, flames bursted. I tried to go back to my room and grab anything I could, but flames were everywhere, and we ran out the building, and that was it.”
People inside said they heard no smoke detectors and saw no sprinklers go off.
“I was my own smoke detector,” Jamal Davis, who was in his recording studio, told the Times. “I ran to my room and grabbed my stuff and left my door open, trying to call my cats out to follow me.”
He tried to go back in to save his four cats, but the smoke was too thick and he lost them all, Davis said.