Silent Vale deemed ‘pathetic’ by a fan
VALE REC are keeping tight-lipped as to why they failed to field a side in the FNB Priaulx League resulting in a walkover for league leaders St Martin’s.
But Martyn Lowe, the Vale club president, admitted yesterday it had been a fiasco.
‘We need more information at the moment,’ he said, without wishing to go into more details.
‘I do think we have been unfairly treated at the moment – that’s a personal view and not of the club. The football section has to handle it themselves.’
But Guernsey Football League Management, who run the leagues, shed some clarity on the situation and gave a timeline to proceedings ahead of the scheduled Friday evening kick-off.
On Thursday, and with the Corbet Field looking unlikely to be playable, the GFLM were made aware that St Martin’s would have Blanche Pierre Lane fit and available if the Vale pitch proved too wet.
But even at that stage Vale made it known that they were unable to field a side.
The following lunchtime,GFLM’s Andy Robert inspected both Northfield and Corbet Field and agreed they were unplayable, while Saints confirmed their ground was fit.
‘Vale Rec then confirmed their position re unavailability,’ said Mr Robert who consulted all the GFLM directors before a decision was made to give the points to St Martin’s.
- More in Tuesday's Guernsey Press.