Centenary Siam Cup postponed once again

JERSEY did not have enough available players to contest next month's scheduled Siam Cup clash, which has been postponed.

Both that and the fact Jersey now has over 3,000 positive cases and approximately 15,000 people isolating – it simply proved impossible to stage an event which was crucial to the Guernsey club's finances.

The Jersey Reds, who were also hampered by new Siam eligibility rules whereby professional players have to be resident for there years, now have a number of positive COVID-19 cases amongst their squads, including players and staff who have either tested positive, or who are isolating as close contacts of positive cases.

There are also insufficient numbers of players who will be fully vaccinated by the deadline of 13 August.

Andrea Harris, the newly-elected chair of the Raiders, said it was 'an extremely disappointing position to be in, some 15 months after the original fixture should have been played and after the two clubs had agreed the August match, followed by two matches in May 2022, to catch up on the fixtures missed due to the global pandemic.

'It is tremendously unfortunate that, despite the Raiders' best efforts to be fully vaccinated at least 14 days ahead of the planned fixture, it is unable to proceed because of the current situation in Jersey,' said Harris.

'Siam day is not just about raising much needed funds for the financial coffers; it is a day for the community and one that Guernsey as an island was very much looking forward to,' she added.

Tanya Scholtz in action in the Ladies' Siam of 2019. (Picture by Martin Gray, www.guernseysportphotography.com, 29801371)

Cliff Chipperfield, chair of the Jersey Reds amateur teams, said that while they were originally very hopeful that the agreed August date would signal a return to normality, the pandemic has conspired against them.

'A significant proportion of our men’s and women’s Siam squads have either been tested positive or been identified as direct contacts, and this also leaves a number of players unable to receive their second vaccination by mid-August [the deadline for safe travel for the Siam date].

'It is a matter of deep regret for everyone at Jersey Reds that we have reached a point where the Siam weekend is no longer possible.'

The two clubs are now in discussions to see if the fixture can be rescheduled to another date, and further information will be released when available.

Most Read

Top Stories

More From The Guernsey Press

UK & International News