Guernsey Press

Vikings go on the rampage

ST JACQUES outclassed Tottonians Seconds on Saturday as Vikings ran in 18 tries at Footes Lane.

St Jacques Vikings scrum-half Dale Rutledge steps through a tackle on his way to score on Saturday at Footes Lane. (Pictures by Luke Le Prevost, 32556454)

It was a ruthless performance from the black-and-yellows, which will provide a real confidence boost as they head towards tougher fixtures.

With many of their regular players back, Ray Smart’s side showed their full array of skills as they consistently found the weaknesses in the Tottonians side and exploited them to maximum effect.

They were on the scoresheet inside two minutes through the returning Dale Rutledge, who was impressive all afternoon.

Kieran Creber scored his first try shortly afterwards, showing excellent skills to flick the ball up on his foot and catch it, following Gearoid Lee’s slightly wayward pass, before touching down in the corner.

He then followed 10 minutes later with a second try.

Vikings were resolute in defence and with the ball in hand were also very effective.

Fly-half Tom Veillard orchestrated their attack excellently, linking up well with Lee in the second playmaker role to create attacking opportunities.

Tom Rihoy was making his first appearance in a number of years and he was very busy making dominant tackles and effective carries. He scored next after evading multiple tackles for an impressive individual try.

Former Vikings captain Leon Gardner was a late addition to the squad after Corey Wallis was forced withdraw from the squad through illness.

He played his first game in two years, having recently returned to training for this season, and he got himself on the scoresheet after the Vikings were awarded a penalty. He threw the ball in from the line-out and was on hand at the back of maul to dot down.

Vikings ran in a further five tries before the half-time break scored through Barnaby Paul, Matt Lomas, Rutledge and two from Taylor Quate to establish a 66-0 lead.

The second half was very much the same as the first as the Vikings continued to exploit the weaknesses of the Tottonians defence at will.

More space was opening up as the game wore on, with the forwards unit providing a great platform for the backs to utilise.

Quate, Joe Le Roux and Lee were regularly making line breaks, and with great support lines offered from their teammates this amounted to a number of excellent team tries.

Lomas, Lee and Rutledge all scored within the first six minutes of the half.

Tottonians were seeing little of the ball and when they did have it they were either making unforced errors or solid defensive sets from the Vikings forced a turnover of possession.

The next period brought about a further three tries through Creber, Le Roux and Quate who bought up his hat-trick.

The visitors may have been behind, but they had not given up, a huge credit to them for continuing to stick at it as they sought an opportunity to get on the scoresheet.

They soon got it as they caught the Vikings defence napping with an excellent move that split two defenders. They raced through and under the posts to score.

As the game drew to a close the Vikings regained the ascendency with two tries through Quate and Creber, before referee Steve Roussel blew the final whistle.

Lomas had an excellent day from the tee as he slotted 15 of 18 conversions, including several from the touchline.

Vikings know that tougher assignments await them, but they could have done no more this week.