Guernsey Press

Jack’s the lad as GFC pick up vital away win

GUERNSEY FC enjoyed Christmas Day outside of the Isthmian South Central relegation zone after an important come-from-behind win at Binfield on Saturday.

Jack Griffin scored the winning goal as Guernsey FC registered their first away victory of the season at Binfield on Saturday. (Picture by Sophie Rabey, 32750152)

The oldest and youngest members of the Green Lions match-day squad – Dave Rihoy and Jack Griffin – were both on the scoresheet as the visitors came from a goal down at half-time to win 2-1 at the bottom-of-the-table side.

‘We scrapped it out,’ said GFC manager Tony Vance on Christmas Eve.

‘It would have been really frustrating and disappointing if we had not got the win because we were the better team and we knew it was an opportunity to get the three points.

‘The week before we were magnificent and got nothing, this time we scrapped and got three points.

‘Sometimes I think we deserve some luck, but you have to earn it and the best thing was we managed to get the game won coming from behind.

‘It’s a pretty big three points and it is nice to move out of the relegation, albeit probably temporarily, depending on how the Boxing Day results go.’

It was Ross Weatherstone’s first game in charge of Binfield after he had taken over as manager from Garry Haylock last week and there were several new faces in the home side’s line-up with one of the newcomers, striker Ethan Lindo, giving them the lead midway through the first half against the run of play.

Less than two minutes into the second half, GFC equalised when, after collecting goalkeeper Jordan Kelly’s long clearance, an initially isolated Owen Wallbridge did brilliantly to hold it up before his clever flicked pass found Rihoy who slotted home.

‘Dave thought it had been a couple of years since his last goal but actually it was four years,’ said Vance.

‘But he has been really good and it was a great assist from Owen Wallbridge.

‘The pitch was awful and Jordy’s kicks had been putting their high line under pressure, so that was actually something we talked about at half-time and Owen made it happen.’

The winner came in the 84th minute.

Tom Vaudin’s lofted ball out to the right wing was superbly kept in play by Ross Allen on the turn and he then had time to look up and pick out teenage substitute Griffin, who slid in the No 10’s low cross.

‘Vauds had actually over-played a couple of times before that and nearly got into trouble, so there was probably some anger in his clearance, but Ross’ touch was outstanding and his cross even better,’ said Vance.

The three points lifted GFC a couple of places to 18th for a couple of hours above both Corinthian-Casuals and the Met Police, but the latter won later in the day to go back above the Green Lions, whose captain Jamie Dodd rejoined Matt Loaring as the club’s record appearance holder at the weekend.

GFC are back in action on Saturday at home to South Park, 1.30pm kick off.