Those four cases suspected to be community seeding led to the island’s swift re-entry into full lockdown.
The level of pressure on the public services was evident yesterday, with appeals to protect the capacity at the hospital and the Covid-19 response services inundated with calls and emails.
JESCC took 604 calls in the 48 hours that ended at 7am yesterday morning, and made 673 referrals for testing.
The States expanded capacity at the drive-through testing centre at the hospital, which nearly doubled in size overnight and can allow at least 1,000 swabs a day to be taken. ‘Our scheduling and swabbing teams are now working between 8am and 11pm with pathology staff working late into the night to provide swab results as quickly as possible,’ a spokesperson said.
One person has recovered from the virus and of the 52 active cases, 20 were mentioned at Sunday’s media briefing by director of Public Health Dr Nicola Brink and a further 18 were identified during the day.
There are currently two patients with the virus in hospital and test results are still to come from 242 people.
The vaccination centre at Beau Sejour was running smoothly.
Among those having their first dose was Stanley Cleal, 78. He said it had been ‘brilliant’ as he backed the swift lockdown.
Health & Social Care is still anxious to contact anyone who was in the Crow’s Nest or the Ship & Crown from 18-20 January.
Students and staff from Year 8 at St Sampson’s High School have also been tested after one of the students gave a positive test, and people who have come into contact with the student have been told to isolate.