Skip to main content

Scott misses England cut but will travel with World Cup squad

Guernsey star Alex Scott has been left out of England’s 26-man squad for the World Cup - but will join the Three Lions at their preparation camp in Miami this summer.

Scott has enjoyed a stellar season with Bournemouth, helping them secure European football for the first time.
Scott has enjoyed a stellar season with Bournemouth, helping them secure European football for the first time. / Picture from Ben Whitley/PA Wire

Scott, who had been included on a 55-strong long-list for the tournament in the USA, Canada, and Mexico, will travel with the squad and train ahead of warm-up friendlies on 6 and 10 June against New Zealand and Costa Rica in Florida.

‘We will take some young players out who will train with us and keep the squad in the size that we need, so that we have all the possibilities also for the two friendly matches to take care about the minutes and the load of the players,’ said England manager Thomas Tuchel.

Scott is one of four invited to play that role, alongside Rio Ngumoha, Josh King and another as-yet-unnamed player.

And the England boss singled out the Bournemouth star for special praise when he spoke to the media after announcing his squad.

‘I’m happy that these guys are with us - especially Alex, who was even on the list of 55 and had a kind of disappointing phone call as well that he didn’t make the first cut.

‘But the reaction of him was outstanding. The commitment. The wish to be in pre-camp and to just be a step closer to the team was not even a question for him.

‘This showed me his character and his spirit, so I’m delighted that he’s with us because it was a close call and he gets a chance to take a step closer to get a cap,’ said Tuchel.

Scott has enjoyed a fantastic campaign with Bournemouth, scoring in a win at champions Arsenal as the club secured European football for the first time in their history.

He was also named their supporters’ player of the season, having earned his first call-up to a senior national squad in November.

‘I’m gutted not to be part of the squad, I'm not too upset because I feel like I've done everything I could have done to be in there,’ Scott told the club’s website.

‘But it's obviously nice that they really want me to go there and be a part of the prep camp as well and help the team prepare for the World Cup.

‘So that was never an opportunity that I was going to say no to.

‘So yeah, I'm looking forward to that. It's going to be great to be around the group again and help prepare for the fixtures in Miami in the heat.

‘I can't wait for it. It's going to be amazing. And yeah, fingers crossed I can hopefully make my debut out there,’ he said.

England kick off Group L against Croatia in Dallas on June 17, before playing Ghana on June 23 and Panama on June 27.

Related  Front Page

You need to be logged in to comment.